Police Officer Applicant Requirements
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be 21 years of age but not older than 36 years of age by date of hire. ** For Veterans of the armed forces who served at least 20 years you cannot be older than 40 years and 6 months old by the time of hire. The City of Portage also has a Veteran's Hiring Preference Policy.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- No felony convictions.
- No domestic battery convictions.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- Pass written examinations.
- Pass an agility test.
- Pass a memory test.
- Submit to a polygraph/ voice stress examination.
- Submit to a background investigation.
- Submit to an oral interview.
- Pass a physical examination.
- Pass a drug screen examination.
- Pass a psychological examination.
The Portage Police Department, by city ordinance, tests on an as needed basis for applicants. Positions are not always available at the time of testing.